Skip to main content
July 17, 2018 ...

News

• .stl, .gcode and .123dx files can now be uploaded as attatchments

Topic: Temperature - not possible to set (Read 747 times) previous topic - next topic

• swed
  • [*][*]
Temperature - not possible to set
Hi, do you have anybody experince how to set proper temperature of extruder?
I can see temperature of extruder in simplify3D and Cura ...after heating it will stop all the time 230°C which I guess is possible maximum.
If I set printing temp or temt of first layer of printing to 200°C and around, it will not start print becourse waiting for M105 (gcode) temperature which is set to 200, but real is still 230. Looks that there is not possible to control temperature at all :(

READ: ok
READ: T:230.1 E:0 W:?
SENT: M105
SENT: M104 S190 T0
SENT: M104 S190 T0
READ: T:230.0 E:0 W:?

READ: ok T:230.4 /190.0 B:0.0 /0.0 @:0 B@:0

• Last Edit: 18 Apr, 2017, 21:23:13 PM by swed

• Bucky208
  • [*][*]
Re: Temperature - not possible to set
Reply #1
It's not starting because 230 is way above the 200 limit indeed. Are you sure it is 230? I can't reach 210, and i'm using a new power supply... (Simplify3D)

Does it print with the SD Cards?
In S3D, use machine control to heat up the extruder. Do you the temp graph, check if it is acting realistic.

Reply #2
that almost makes me think that something is plugged into the wrong place. that is weirdly steady temp readings, as well as way hotter than most of the printers are able to achieve.

• swed
  • [*][*]
Reply #3
Yes using S3D and Cura and both programs are detecting 230°C which I know is quite high tempeature.
See attached screenshot:

I will try to find some thermometer to confirm.
Anyway it is not printing from SD card and via USB only if I uncheck in S3D that I dont want to wait for temperature controller to stabilize before beginning build...which will never happend  :(

Also doublechecked the connectors atc but without some diagrams I am not able to check if controller is properly sending signal to control tepmerature so if there is someting wrong in controller or in extruder itself...

Reply #4
when you first start the printer, does it immediatly go to the ~230 degree mark?
my first thought was that maybe you had the thermistor and the hotend swapped on your controller, but when i checked what temp reading that would show, it shows roughly 360 on my printer.
my next thought would be that the thermistor is bad, while fiddly it is not all that horrible to get into the hotend/extruder and replace it, about 5 screws.
can you turn off your printer, let it all cool down. and then check what resistance is being read across the thermistor with a multimeter? (red/black wire 2 pin connection)

• swed
  • [*][*]
Reply #5
Yes it directly goes to 230° after switch on printer. Thanks for idea how to measure thermistor, resistance on it red to black wire is 117k ohm. Do u know what values is correct please? In meantime will open extruder to check thermistor....

Reply #6
that resistance is about right for about 21c. which is close enough for a cold temp. you can look up 100k thermistor output tables to get an idea what the resistance should be at various temps.
my next guess would be something on the board is wrong or broken. need a little time to research it, might have bridging across the resistor for the input from the thermistor. that would change the value and give screwy readings.

• swed
  • [*][*]
Reply #7
So I have tried to ask 101hero staff about diagrams id controller and what the check, but without any reply. Looks the new controller itself will be needed :-(

Reply #8
have you taken a look at the board itsself, make sure you cant see any burned components, or bridged solder joints, or missing solder?

Reply #9
i am curious about something. if you have a multi meter. i have circled the resistor in green in the picture. it should be labeled 472 and measure around 4.7k oms. i suspect you have a higher resistance across that resistor, either due to defect in the resistor, or the wrong one got into the pick and place machine in the factory.

if its possible can you take a look at it, and test it?

• swed
  • [*][*]
Reply #10
Board itself looks good and all components also, nothing looks burned. Mentioned resistor 472 (R13) has 4.05kohm. Any more ideas as it looks u know diagram of board? Thanks.

• yaowenc
  • [*][*]
Reply #11
i am curious about something. if you have a multi meter. i have circled the resistor in green in the picture. it should be labeled 472 and measure around 4.7k oms. i suspect you have a higher resistance across that resistor, either due to defect in the resistor, or the wrong one got into the pick and place machine in the factory.

if its possible can you take a look at it, and test it?

Thank you very much, I also have the same problem... the error message I go is
": Extruder switched off. MINTEMP triggered !
Error:Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)"

measure the R13 impedance is also 4.7K Ohm and the label 472 means 47x10^2=4700=4.7K Ohm.
 I think it's right value. but the printer of mine still Extruder switched off.
  • Last Edit: 18 May, 2017, 02:54:27 AM by yaowenc

Reply #12
swed: i am just following traces and reading documentation i am finding online. still tracing more circuits to see if i can find your issue, it might end up being that the controller chip is just stupid and needs replaced.

yaowenc: the MINTEMP is slightly different, a higher resistance is being found, have you checked the resistance across the thermistor? it should be round about 100k ohm at room temp give or take.  also, you might need to check that everything is plugged in fully just to be on the safe side.

• yaowenc
  • [*][*]
Reply #13
swed: i am just following traces and reading documentation i am finding online. still tracing more circuits to see if i can find your issue, it might end up being that the controller chip is just stupid and needs replaced.

yaowenc: the MINTEMP is slightly different, a higher resistance is being found, have you checked the resistance across the thermistor? it should be round about 100k ohm at room temp give or take.  also, you might need to check that everything is plugged in fully just to be on the safe side.

thanks, everything is plugged.  open the extruder and check the cable of  thermistor. there is nothing special. I also dismantling the heater, and under this condition the issue close, the MINTEMP error is gone. and assembly back. Now it can work.
still do'nt know what happened, maybe something short under original  status.  Now I will study how to adjustment this printer.
Thanks for your reply.