Skip to main content
October 18, 2018 ...

News

• Registration is now closed.

We have an alternative forum at makenhack.com

Topic: Problem with extruder heating (Read 1294 times) previous topic - next topic

Problem with extruder heating
I have problem with extruder heating. 101Hero don't start print, because extruder heated only till 81 Degrees, not more

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Re: Problem with extruder heating
Reply #1
There is an issue with some extruders. How do you know the temperature?

Is that from Cura or did you measure it with a laser thermometer?

I have a sneaking suspicion that the unit showing too hot or cold is to do with the thermistor that is in the hot end.
They are generally quite reliable but they are an electrical component at the end of the day, and on which you are relying on to give your control box the correct reading in order to work.

Reply #2
Did you connect the power and turn it on? It draws power over USB too, but its way too low to get to a good temperature.

Reply #3

I have a sneaking suspicion that the unit showing too hot or cold is to do with the thermistor that is in the hot end.
They are generally quite reliable but they are an electrical component at the end of the day, and on which you are relying on to give your control box the correct reading in order to work.

I know temperature from CURA

I dismounted the a printer head and saw that the thermistor is broken.

Where can I order a part of the extruder?

Reply #4
Did you connect the power and turn it on? It draws power over USB too, but its way too low to get to a good temperature.

Yes. I connect the power and turn it on.

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #5

You should just be able to replace the thermistor. They are extremely cheap. It's worth a go anyway.

Someone here might know what type it should be.

Reply #6

You should just be able to replace the thermistor. They are extremely cheap. It's worth a go anyway.

Someone here might know what type it should be.

I changed the thermistor now shows the heating up to 79 degrees

Reply #7
What type of heater 101Hero printer?

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #8
The print head appears to be a modified unit from a 3d pen.
@workshoptinkerers did a tear down video on the extruder AFAIK,  he may be able to give you a bit more information

Reply #9
I believe the heater is a ceramic tube heater style thing. probably exactly like how a number of 3d printing pens use. the problem is i haven't been able to successfully find one yet, and have not fully taken apart the hotend down to the components to get exact measurements from it.

Reply #10
I believe the heater is a ceramic tube heater style thing. probably exactly like how a number of 3d printing pens use. the problem is i haven't been able to successfully find one yet, and have not fully taken apart the hotend down to the components to get exact measurements from it.
This is ceramic plate heater 6x14 mm

Reply #11
I think that is not properly assembled extruder.
I would like to see another extruder 101hero

Reply #12
looking at those pictures i am now thinking those are PTC blocks. should be semi self regulating heat wise, but actually regulated by the board.
the brass nozzle is probably being used as a common ground, and the metal clip as a common - rail reducing the need for the plates and additional wiring.
still trying to find the exact replacement. could try to take the clip off and make sure its clean and making contact.
will probably tear my hotend apart tonight to get a better look at it for you.

http://www.dxmht.com/products/self-regulating-ceramic-heater.htm

something like that. can be just clamped together, no need for more than sandwiched wires/soldered plate
  • Last Edit: 02 Mar, 2017, 13:37:51 PM by workshoptinkerers

Reply #14
i have taken my hotend fully apart, verified the plate position is identical to the picture. the hotend itsself is the current transfer to the second ceramic heater plate. i can post pictures if needed.