Skip to main content
October 18, 2018 ...

News

• Please note: 101user.com is in no way affiliated with 101Hero. 101user.com is an unofficial user forum.

Topic: Print Head Fan (Read 1447 times) previous topic - next topic

• Grayed
  • [*][*]
Print Head Fan
Poking at doing a print head fan.  

It is at best an experimental design and probably not the best, but as you'll read in the article, it was interesting to do.  Early versions do actually blow a little air down beside the extruder nozzle.

Turning this over to the creative and more experienced members of the community for further development.   Have fun!

• BobC
  • [*][*]
Re: Print Head Fan
Reply #1
While waiting for my printer I've come up with an idea to get a nozzle surrounding the printhead without adding much weight.

Modify one of these to put a length of flexible tubing between the nozzle and the fan.

Mount the duct to the print head, run the tubing up the cables, and move the fan completely off the printer.

I can then use a suitably powerful centrifugal fan without worrying about its weight.

Thoughts?

Reply #2
While waiting for my printer I've come up with an idea to get a nozzle surrounding the printhead without adding much weight.

Modify one of these to put a length of flexible tubing between the nozzle and the fan.

Mount the duct to the print head, run the tubing up the cables, and move the fan completely off the printer.

I can then use a suitably powerful centrifugal fan without worrying about its weight.

Thoughts?

similar to a bowden type extruder: a bowden cooler? Thought of something similar, but needs a proof-of-concept :)

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #3
@BobC @brandstaetter You would have to make sure that it isn't dragging on the head too much, maybe run it alongside the filament through the top of the printer?

@Grayed , Ducted fans are a bit hit and miss due to the way air flows through the ducting. 3d printing is not going to allow for a particularly good airflow as the imperfections caused by the layering will cause numerous vortexes within the air channel.

Is there anyway to smooth out the inside do you think? I like the size of it though, it could be a good system.

• Grayed
  • [*][*]
Reply #4

Thoughts?

similar to a bowden type extruder: a bowden cooler? Thought of something similar, but needs a proof-of-concept :)

I've done the preliminary tests on my little cooling fan but hadn't posted them yet.   Check   http://blog.graywriterrv.com/?p=1878 

My original thought was a ring to go around the nozzle, like the one you've shown, but there just isn't room.  The 101hero nozzle only protrudes about 5 mm.  Reducing that ring to the point where it would be flat enough to fit produced an almost solid part.  I had to abandon that.   It's still a good idea, and maybe you can come up with a design that will print.

As for the tube idea, give it a try.  Driving air through a narrow tube creates tremendous back-pressure and will overwork the fan, but you can sacrifice a $5 fan for the cause.   The area of my little duct is .5" x .0625"  or .03 square inches.  A 1/4" tube has a vent area of  pi X r^2, or 3.14 x .125 x .125 or roughly .05 square inches.  A 3/8" tube would have even more area.  However, drag is related to length.  My duct is 1.25" long, so despite the rough inner surface, drag is minimized by the short length.  A plastic tube would be smoother inside but you're looking at maybe 10".    A 2" squirrel fan would certainly drive air through a 3/8" tube.  A metal tube at the end of the plastic, squeezed flat to 1/8" and bent to go around under the print head would provide a non-meltable vent. 

I like it, and I think it's worth pursuing!  Do some experiments, give us a proof of concept. I'll check in again in April when I'm back from California to see how you've progressed.
  • Last Edit: 18 Jan, 2017, 16:08:59 PM by Grayed

• Grayed
  • [*][*]
Reply #5
Another thought on the tube idea -- get an aquarium air pump and air hose.   A little pump with hose is only about $12 CAD.

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #6
Another thought on the tube idea -- get an aquarium air pump and air hose.   A little pump with hose is only about $12 CAD.

That's an interesting idea.
That would at least have a smaller chance of failure and would probably have its own psu

• Grayed
  • [*][*]
Reply #7
Poking at doing a print head fan.  
Followup:
Print head fan
Testing the print head fan
Print head fan proof of concept
Print head fan extended

Darn, can't add files in a reply.   Go over to the unofficial Facebook page and look under Files.   They're called Plenum and Duct with Ring.

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #8
@Grayed 
Suprised you can't add files in reply mode. I know the option isn't in quick reply mode but I thought it was available in the full reply editor. I'll have a look at the settings.

Sorry about that......  :-[

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #9
@Grayed I've uploaded those files for you...

Reply #10
Thanks for sharing

• ghollmig
  • [*][*]
Reply #11
Thanks for sharing your design. I'm currently working and printing on a design for a larger fan. It is for a 12V DC Blow Radial Cooling Fan  that can be found for 2$-3$ online.
If I got a working design I will update here.

• dom
  • [*][*]
Reply #12
I bought a radial fan which needs 12V 0.12 A. What do you think? Too much for the original power supply?

• dom
  • [*][*]
Reply #13
You can find my print head fan on thingiverse. It worked well.