Skip to main content
July 23, 2018 ...

News

• Registration is currently closed.
    If you wish to register please use the contact form.

Topic: Skipping motor (Read 559 times) previous topic - next topic

Skipping motor
Hello, all. I've joined this forum in an effort to try and get my machine working. Just got it yesterday after ordering through their original Kickstarter back in June of 2016. I got it to be sent out after e-mailing a specific person at 101hero.com that I saw posted either in the Kickstarter comments or on Facebook. I had tried to contact them numerous other ways prior to that without success. Enough complaining about the wait. Now on to complaining about the machine.

I'm a novice to 3d printing and figured a printer like this was intended for someone like me. In fact, the box says an 8-year-old should be able to use it. I had plenty of time to read through all of the cautions about not moving things while the power is on and routing wires properly prior to assembling this thing during my long wait. So, I carefully put it together with those kinds of things in mind. Tried using the test file to adjust the screws, but couldn't ever get the nozzle to remain level to the glass plate. It would always drift up toward one of the pylons. Observing the head and the motor, it appears that I received a motor that skips. It seems this is a common problem. Here's a video of the motor test file from the official website trying to run:

https://youtu.be/RO_yiv4ZbJ4

I have contacted the company again, but do not have high hope that much will come from that. What I would like to know is if this actually appears to be a "skipping motor" like it seems many others have received or if I need to do something differently. Also, I've been reading around here and it appears that sourcing a replacement on my own isn't a simple task. What are my options? Thanks!

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Re: Skipping motor
Reply #1
There are a few options. You can replace the motors with 1/64 motors and adjust the gcode. You can use nema 14/17 motors and a new control board but that's a more expensive option or you can try to get one of the custom motors from the lads that ordered them from China.

You could also try co t acting 101Hero themselves but I'm not sure how successful you would be. One hint I would offer is to send the email during Chinese working hours, that seems to be more successful  (I have found it to be anyway) as I can imagine they probably get a lot of emails and possibly don't get through all of them.

• pudgeco
  • [*][*]
Reply #2
There are a few options. You can replace the motors with 1/64 motors and adjust the gcode. You can use nema 14/17 motors and a new control board but that's a more expensive option or you can try to get one of the custom motors from the lads that ordered them from China.

You could also try co t acting 101Hero themselves but I'm not sure how successful you would be. One hint I would offer is to send the email during Chinese working hours, that seems to be more successful  (I have found it to be anyway) as I can imagine they probably get a lot of emails and possibly don't get through all of them.

Further to that point. I have tried contacting 101hero in regards to getting a replacement motor, and after just over 2 weeks, I received my first response. I was told that if I pay for the shipping, they would send me a replacement motor free of charge. At that point, I provided all of the specs of my stripped motor.

I then paid, on their website, per their instructions. This was on March 21st. Since then, I have emailed them about 7 times. I have since had no response to my emails, and no motor has arrived. As far as I'm concerned at this point, their support is non-existent, or simply extremely unreliable. Right now, to me it feels more like they are a bunch of crooks. I've received nothing but disappointment from the 101hero team.

Admin, if you have some additional details on the 1/64 motors, or the conversion of gcode file. Please excuse my ignorance, if I'm asking for repeat information from the forum, I've not been on the forum in about a month, since I've been trying to deal with 101hero directly on the motor.. which now appears to be a lost cause.

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #3

• pudgeco
  • [*][*]
Reply #4
@pudgeco have a look at this thread......
http://101user.com/index.php/topic,116.0.html

So.. after all of this, and ordering a set of new 1/64 motors  (which I am still waiting for).. last week a package arrived containing a couple of replacement motors. These were the ones that 101hero had advised they would send, but then did not reply to one of my dozen or so emails which followed asking for an update.

On a positive note, I have done many prints and the results are okay. The important thing is that it's now up and running!!

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #5
That's interesting, so they are sending out replacement parts........that's something at least.

Their communication has been horrible but they appear to be making an effort to ship what they committed to.