Skip to main content
September 25, 2018 ...

News

• Please note: 101user.com is in no way affiliated with 101Hero. 101user.com is an unofficial user forum.

Topic: My printer took 30 minutes to heat up! (still going)  (Read 517 times) previous topic - next topic

My printer took 30 minutes to heat up! (still going)
hi i really hope you can help me i received my 3d printer as a Christmas present and got some very decent prints out of it but i didn't use it for a couple days and when i did the charger wasn't working easy fix i grabbed another 12v 3a charger out but then i tried printing something it refused to work so i did the motor test print and that was fine it worked but as soon as the print involved the extruder heating u it didnt start. i was doing all of this of my sd card so i decided to tether it so i could see what was going on and the print started it was heating up it got to 100c really good speed and then started slowing down i watched it with a close eye and 30 minutes later it had only got to 170c and then it started going backward and in the end got back to 28c pleas help as i really enjoyed using this any advise is welcome. thank you

Re: My printer took 30 minutes to heat up! (still going)
Reply #1
i fixed it! i changed the power lead to a 12v 6amp

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #2
Strange problem, has it gotten particularly cold in the place your using the printer?

• rcolbert
  • [*][*]
Reply #3
If the power supply isn't rated 5A or higher, the extruder won't get enough current to heat up so it will use what it can and then draw power from whatever is attached to the USB port. End result is very long warmup times and then horrible prints because the extruder would not be able to maintain the temp when the motors start pulling power.

The part where it got to 100c, sat there a while and then started to cool is a safety feature of the firmware. If it detects that the temperature hasn't changed even though it is trying to push current at it, the firmware will abort the heating because (worst case) the thermistor could be malfunctioning and it could start a fire (if there was enough current).
  • Last Edit: 09 Jun, 2017, 20:15:32 PM by rcolbert