April 23, 2018 ...

News

• .stl, .gcode and .123dx files can now be uploaded as attatchments

Topic: Cura machine settings (Read 11231 times) previous topic - next topic

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Cura machine settings
Step by step guide to setting up the machine in Cura......

You should use Cura 15.02.01.

1. Go to the machine dropdown and select new machine

• Last Edit: 12 Dec, 2016, 15:00:48 PM by Admin

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Re: Cura machine settings
Reply #1
2:  The wizard should open and you can click next.......

On the next page select Other and click next....

Then select Custom or Deltabot and click next again

• Last Edit: 12 Dec, 2016, 15:01:47 PM by Admin

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #2
3. On the next page just fill in the name of the printer.........  (ie. 101hero)

Then click finish. There is no need to adjust any other options at this point.

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #3
4. You should now be back in Cura. Go back to the machine dropdown menu. Make sure the 101hero is highlighted (blue dot)

You can now enter the machine settings

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #4
5. You should have a screen like this

Check that the tab that's open is for your printer and then enter the settings

Currently the best settings available are the ones that User Gregory posted on the Kickstarter page

E-Steps per 1mm filament - 0
Maximum width (mm) - 149.86
Maximum depth (mm) - 149.86
Maximum height (mm) - 99.822
Extruder count - 1
Heated bed - [ ]
Machine Center 0,0 - [X]
Build area shape - Circular
GCode Flavor - RepRap (Marlin/Sprinter)
ALL PRINTER HEAD SIZE SETTINGS - 0.0
ALL COMMUNICATION SETTINGS - AUTO

The fully filled in box should look like this

Hit ok and the settings should close and bring you back to the main Cura screen where your build area should now be circular.

Please feel free to make any additions or corrections to these posts and I will update it as needs be...... 8)

Reply #5
Thanks a lot, this guide was really helpful. I just want to mention that for anyone following these instructions, you need to have Cura 15.02.01 http://software.ultimaker.com/old/Cura_15.02.1.exe
If you download Cura from their homepage, you will get version 2.3.1 and your configuration settings will differ a lot.

• Grayed
  • [*][*]
Reply #6
Helpful, thanks.  If at Step 2 you choose DeltaBot, a lot of the settings are the same as for the 101Hero.   Cura 2 was a total ground-up redesign with a lot of new features, but 15.02.1 is easy to use and works fine for beginners.

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #7
@xXxOlivierxXx  @Grayed

I've edited the tutorial to reflect that information,  thanks . ;)

• Blackbart42
  • [*][*]
Reply #8
I followed this tutorial to get set up but Cura defaults to a print speed way to high for the 101Hero. I opened up some for the gcode files supplied on 101land and they all use 14mm/s at 200c and 0.2mm layer height. I think the 101Hero tops out at about 14mm/s so moving any faster can result in missed steps. The kicker is the travel speed needs to be set to 14mm/s as well, and the Cura default is like 200mm/s or something crazy like that. Using the Cura defaults I ended up with failed prints and plastic all over, with some layers shifted 10mm or more. I think this was because of the very high travel speed resulting in missed steps. With settings at a max speed of 14mm/s I get much better, successful, prints. I think we could play with temp and layer size a bit and find an optimal setting.

Reply #9
I followed this tutorial to get set up but Cura defaults to a print speed way to high for the 101Hero. I opened up some for the gcode files supplied on 101land and they all use 14mm/s at 200c and 0.2mm layer height. I think the 101Hero tops out at about 14mm/s so moving any faster can result in missed steps. The kicker is the travel speed needs to be set to 14mm/s as well, and the Cura default is like 200mm/s or something crazy like that. Using the Cura defaults I ended up with failed prints and plastic all over, with some layers shifted 10mm or more. I think this was because of the very high travel speed resulting in missed steps. With settings at a max speed of 14mm/s I get much better, successful, prints. I think we could play with temp and layer size a bit and find an optimal setting.

This is pretty interesting ... I wonder in in the models they have the correct retraction information too?  This would also help the print detail.
I am not good at this stuff but my gear, besides the Villian includes:
Monoprice Maker Select, Select Mini, and an Anet A8 w/P3Steel frame
Also considering: CTC 3D

• BobC
  • [*][*]
Reply #10
Can we get similar documentation for all the basic/advanced model settings and their recommended/useful ranges?

• Blackbart42
  • [*][*]
Reply #11
@cklapka I looked at the test file and I don't see any retraction at all, it could be in some of the more complex ones.

Reply #12
I got hold of a rep from simplify3D.  I am hopeful they will be able to help us dial in the right settings there which may translate to Cura.
I am not good at this stuff but my gear, besides the Villian includes:
Monoprice Maker Select, Select Mini, and an Anet A8 w/P3Steel frame
Also considering: CTC 3D

• Blackbart42
  • [*][*]
Reply #13
The retraction settings in the 101land models are 10mm/s 2.5mm distance.

Reply #14
I'm new to 3D printing and I was able to get the machine to print the 101land items. Now I'm trying to load a test design from Tinkercad sliced by Cura but the machine doesn't seem to be accepting GCODE. Am I missing a step somewhere? The design is a simple 15 layer oval to see if I can get it to work, and so far the machine doesn't do anything when I put in the SD card and press the button.