Skip to main content
February 22, 2018 ...
OpenID

News

• Hope you enjoy the new look of the forum.

Topic: Firmware (Read 2067 times) previous topic - next topic

Firmware
Working on forking the Marlin firmware. Doing it in my spare time. It's not complete yet, but rather it is still a work in progress. So... the disclaimer stands... USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I'm not responsible if you wreck something trying my untested code.

With our collective knowledge and expertiseses though, I'm sure we can get this going and working.

I believe my measurement for the delta parts are correct, or very close. Please let me know if you have completely different values.

I'm working on the speed and acceleration values. Most of them I've copied from the toyrep printer that also uses these <sarcasm>amazing<\sarcasm> motors.

My goal is to have it run the 101Hero off a RAMPs or Rambo board (requires hacking motor to be bipolar). But I guess it could also *potentially* be used to flash new firmware to the original controller board (remember to backup it's current bin first).

Feel free to contribute. Let me know if my values are off.

https://github.com/DigitalWhitewater/SuperHero101
  • Last Edit: 13 Jan, 2017, 20:18:11 PM by DigitalWhitewater

Re: Firmware
Reply #1
The main files to be concerned about are "configuration.h" and "configuration_adv.h" in the Marlin folder

• David
  • [*][*]
Reply #2
Stoked to take a look at this! I have 2 other conversion projects at the moment and one ground up build so this will just go on the list :D

• tswaehn
  • [*][*]
Reply #3
Speaking of firmware backup. I just tried to manage a download of the original firmware from the controller to computer.
However I didn't really success. Regarding the lock bits, it looks like the firmware is not possible without destroying the chip or the board.

Did you figure out how to download the firmware from the board?

• tswaehn
  • [*][*]
Reply #4
The ATMEGA1284P is only locked against verify and reprogramming, ... still cannot load the flash contents

Am I doing something wrong ???

avrdude -c usbasp -p m1284p -v -U lock:r:t1:h -U flash:r:test.bin

• ghollmig
  • [*][*]
Reply #5
Hi, since your goal is it to drive the 101hero with RAMPS (or similar) there wouldn't be a need to save the old firmware.
I like this idea a lot since there could be a proper calibration used that is implemented in MarlinRepRap that needs buttons and a screen and would give us the possibility to print right off the  sd card.

Reply #6
I had been optimistic that the controller card could be rewritten with a firmware update.... I have not tried to do it myself. From your test, I guess it's not.

Guess it's good to know there won't be any firmware updates issued by 101Hero then.

I guess updating the controller board and doing the bipolar motor hack are the only real upgrade paths.

• Andy T
  • [*][*]
Reply #7
Is there any way to comp out the backlash in the geartrain? Direction change means adding backlash (default values and custom measured ones going into the config file) to the intended new position for each tower? This should hugely improve print quality.

Reply #8
The marlin firmware is supposed to allow for basklash compensation, though you'd have to do some google-fu to find out how.

Reply #9
Hi,
as the guys from 101hero are reusing an modifying the GPLed Marlin firmware, they are told to share their sources.
This should be a good starting point for own mods because all nescessary informations are inside the configuration files.
Anyone asked 101hero for the sources?

Regards, Bart

Reply #10
So, any progress here? Does anyone have a working custom firmware?

• ghollmig
  • [*][*]
Reply #11
I'm still waiting for my ramps + lcd board.
I want to use a "standard" board to have easy access with LCD and Butons.
As soon as I start I will document my progress, I guess I will need to modify the steppers and mayabe the connectors ...

Reply #12
I have this firmware working on my printer, replaced the main board with a ramps 1.4, mega2560. powersupply is a spare powersupply from my other printer. steppers replaced with nema14 for towers, nema 17 for bowden extruder, and a e3dlite hotend. only a few changes needed for it to work right.
First change is the measurements, one set were backwards, and my measurements had it a little bit off.
// Center-to-center distance of the holes in the diagonal push rods.
#define DELTA_DIAGONAL_ROD 142.5 // mm

// Horizontal offset from middle of printer to smooth rod center.
#define DELTA_SMOOTH_ROD_OFFSET 115.0 // mm

// Horizontal offset of the universal joints on the end effector.
#define DELTA_EFFECTOR_OFFSET 23.5 // mm

// Horizontal offset of the universal joints on the carriages.
#define DELTA_CARRIAGE_OFFSET 15.0 // mm

also, the endstop logic was revered, the printer i have has normal open circuit and triggered close circuit.
// The pullups are needed if you directly connect a mechanical endswitch between the signal and ground pins.
const bool X_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Y_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool X_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Y_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Z_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.

Rest of my adjustments are specific to the other parts of the hardware replaced, i did verify if you mod the included steppers to be bipolar they work just as well as by default if you also swap the pins into the correct order.

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #13
Nice upgrades. I would imagine the nema 14s are a massive improvement over the original steppers.
How did you mount them. Any pictures?

Reply #14
Couple of parts printed,
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2127629
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2127495

one is the motor mount, other is the current hotend carrier i am using, think its going to get changed to get a partcooling fan built in.
my youtube has my videos explaining what/why and how to install.

if i had gotten this printer with these steppers for the $99 now selling for, id be very happy with the printer out of the gate.