Skip to main content
December 14, 2017 ...
OpenID

News

• Hope you enjoy the new look of the forum.

Topic: 2017 plans (Read 494 times) previous topic - next topic

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
2017 plans
What are your 3d printing plans for 2017?

Are you planning to design something yourself, or just printing little things from others?

Is the 101Hero just a stepping stone, do you plan on adding another printer to you collection?

• Last Edit: 31 Dec, 2016, 22:30:31 PM by Admin

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Re: 2017 plans
Reply #1
My own personal plans are to use the 101Hero to learn the basics of delta printers.  ::)

I've only ever used cartesian type printers before so it's of definite interest to me as I have a good grasp on the theory but that will only get me so far.

I also plan on getting an i3 type printer this year. Probably a Wanhao but I might risk going cheaper. ;)

I also have plans for the forum here as well, but this for another thread

• David
  • [*][*]
Reply #2
I run a small 3d printing business. I actually just picked up a decent merchandising deal with a local semi-pro football(american) team. I plan (Hashem willing) to expand my business as well as make more videos on youtube. If i can grow this to the point of my current business I will have 2 incomes and can finally buy land. then i can quit my first business and focus on 3d printing and farming :)

• RCole
  • [*][*]
Reply #3
I'm after my first kit this year. I'm leaning towards the MakerGear M2 kit or the Original Prusa Mk2.

The majority of what I print is my own work. Both for work and for myself.

The 101Hero is a toy for me. I have exclusive use of a Taz 5 and two Ultimaker 2+ machines at work. I'm going inside the controller next. I have explored all the possibilities of the USB connection already. It doesn't look like there is any EEPROM on board. I think it's all EPROM. I'll post my findings when I get some.

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #4
I have explored all the possibilities of the USB connection already. It doesn't look like there is any EEPROM on board. I think it's all EPROM. I'll post my findings when I get some.

I'm suprised at that, the melzi boards have an eeprom on board built into the at1284p chip.
What microcontroller chip is the hero's board running?

• David
  • [*][*]
Reply #5
I have explored all the possibilities of the USB connection already. It doesn't look like there is any EEPROM on board. I think it's all EPROM. I'll post my findings when I get some.

I'm suprised at that, the melzi boards have an eeprom on board built into the at1284p chip.
What microcontroller chip is the hero's board running?

It is an at1284p. the eeprom is onboard/built in. thats how the firmware is stored. :) I think perhaps rcole is looking for an eeprom chip like you would find on a laptop or desktop. But since the atmel chips have eeprom built in there is no need for one. there are a few ways of reprogramming them. but the simplest i know of is through the arduino sdk. https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
for this chip you will also need to find some addons. I haven't messed with it because I'm in the middle of converting my cube printers as well as building a snappy reprap. when someone comes out with some custom firmware for the 101hero I would be very interested in playing with it :)

Reply #6
Since I ant afford a high end 3d printer for my son i will proably be trying to find another 3d printer or just tell my son sorry

Reply #7
I was looking at how it would be to do a firmware...

According to when you connect in Repetier, its a gen6 board with a custom firmware.
While we can't pull the original config source file from the board, we can make a backup of the binary file stored on the board.  That would at least let you "restore" back to factory settings. From there should be able to mess with the marlin build and compile/deploy until your heart is content.

Also while looking into the board, I found that while I set repetier to  connect at a baud rate 115200, the device manager says it's only connecting at 9600. So I'm not sure what to think of that.
  • Last Edit: 05 Jan, 2017, 01:08:35 AM by DigitalWhitewater

Reply #8
Wiring, voltages, and steps aside...

Are there more "traditional" motors that securely fit the 101hero frame/housing?

By traditional I mean: Easy to acquire and buy. Not a custom motor. Used by other 3D printers?

If so... IMHO it's going to be easier and better in the long term to just replace the motors with adquately sized ones and then change the whole controller board to a RAMPs or RAMBO and be done with it. Would be easiest.

If we're stuck with these motors only because nothing "traditional" fits the body of the 101hero, then that's a different story.

If "traditional" motors are to tall/big, would someone with more skill than I be able to CAD up a 'foot bracket' of sorts that could hold the bigger motor and the 101hero could kinda sit on top or get screwed to. We've probably have to get longer belts to do so.
  • Last Edit: 05 Jan, 2017, 01:38:48 AM by DigitalWhitewater

• RCole
  • [*][*]
Reply #9
The motors have a common enough footprint. The problem comes that the steps/mm and distance from limit switches to the build surface are hard coded in the firmware. Without changing the firmware, any motor would have to be an exact match for step size. That's the biggest problem we're running into.

Reply #10
It wouldn't be hard at all to setup an custom firmware on Rumba or ramps controller board. The only problem is that most of the 3D printer boards are built for four wire motors.

http://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/thumb/2/20/Rumba_wiring.svg/800px-Rumba_wiring.svg.png

http://wiki.aus3d.com.au/images/thumb/3/34/Mark2-assembly-RAMPS-WIRING.jpg/800px-Mark2-assembly-RAMPS-WIRING.jpg