Skip to main content
October 18, 2018 ...

News

• .stl, .gcode and .123dx files can now be uploaded as attatchments

Topic: Another "printer not working" thread - fan spins, nothing else happens (Read 911 times) previous topic - next topic

Another "printer not working" thread - fan spins, nothing else happens
Just got my 101hero pylon 3D printer and have assembled it all as per the directions.

I copied the 101hero test file off the website, formatted a standard 2GB SD card using FAT32, and copied the 101hero file onto the SD card.

Inserted the SD card into the 101hero, turned on the power button, waited a few seconds just for good measure, and then pressed the RESET button as instructed in the manual.

The fan on the extruder starts spinning, but even after 15 minutes none of the motors have moved and the extruder isn't warming up at all.

I've double-checked all connections.

I've tried formatting the SD card using FAT32 and regular FAT.

I've tried formatting with Windows' built in formatting tool, as well as with the formatting tool at this URL:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

The test file I'm using is the one at this URL:

http://www.101land.com/img/g735866726-o943826955.dat?dl=2&tk=xxvDcjv5ogLt0cpOqH_lDUDH2y63mAtnW8PnWZOnPdY=

I haven't moved the motors while the unit has been plugged in or turned on, though I did have to move them up in order to assemble it, as they were initially too low to screw the extruder in. (But at that point I hadn't even connected anything yet, let alone plugged it in and turned it on.)

I have the white filament fed into the extruder.

So, what am I doing wrong? Is this just a hardware defect?
  • Last Edit: 05 Apr, 2017, 00:17:42 AM by 1337ingDisorder

Re: Another "printer not working" thread - fan spins, nothing else happens
Reply #1
just to verify, you did unzip the file to get the 101hero file only on the SD card?
next step would be to try to put pressure on top of the sd card slot to make sure its making a good connection.

• Bucky208
  • [*][*]
Reply #2
Not related to the SD card but: "I'm printing at 210 C, but in reality it's only 205 / 206 degrees because the power supply isn't powerful enough and the tiny fan takes away a few degrees.
On the start of each print i press the fan so it doesn't cool the elements in the extruder. This allows the 101hero to reach 210 C, after that the printing starts."
  • Last Edit: 05 Apr, 2017, 12:47:47 PM by Bucky208

Reply #3
just to verify, you did unzip the file to get the 101hero file only on the SD card?
next step would be to try to put pressure on top of the sd card slot to make sure its making a good connection.

I did unzip the file. The only thing on the SD card is the file named "101hero"

Just tried with pressure on the SD card. If I put pressure on the top then the spring pops it out of the slot, but if I hold it down and press it in I still get the same results -- fan spins up, nothing else happens, extruder doesn't warm up.

Reply #4
how about on the flat of the sd card, where the metal covers the card, kind of pushing the contacts to the card.
what side SD card are you using? seems it is possible to go too small.

• Eddiie
  • [*][*]
Reply #5
Download and use the "Back Home" file from - http://www.101hero.com/download
if done correctly, this will home the hotend, just to make sure it is working.. 
After that try the motor test, same download page. 
Work your way down that list, where does it stop?

AND/OR

Plug in a USB cable to the 101Hero controller, connect the other end of the cable to your computer.
The 101hero site has links to drivers if required - http://www.101hero.com/download  bottom of page
Install Ponterface, set the COM port the the port # of the 101Hero, set baud rate to 15200, Connect.
You should see status messages that should help figure out what is going on.

• Eddiie
  • [*][*]
Reply #6
I just grabbed a file off 101user.com to print.   It downloads a zip file.   Inside the zip file are 2 pictures and a 7z file.  
The 7z  file is another zip file, you need to use 7 zip to unzip it.   At that point you should get the actual file to put on the SD card. :)
That file should be named 101hero   (after it gets un-7zipped)

Hope this is the problem you are experiencing.

Reply #7
I got the same result until I added the 'ini' file to the SD card.

Reply #8
Two things to quote so I'll answer each separately below:

Download and use the "Back Home" file from - http://www.101hero.com/download
if done correctly, this will home the hotend, just to make sure it is working.. 
After that try the motor test, same download page. 
Work your way down that list, where does it stop?

I've tried the Back Home file as well as the Motor Test file. None of the 101hero files on the download page make the printer do anything more than spinning up the fan. The motors stay still, the extruder stays cool.

AND/OR
Plug in a USB cable to the 101Hero controller, connect the other end of the cable to your computer.
The 101hero site has links to drivers if required - http://www.101hero.com/download  bottom of page
Install Ponterface, set the COM port the the port # of the 101Hero, set baud rate to 15200, Connect.On the left-hand pane it
You should see status messages that should help figure out what is going on.

I've plugged in the USB, installed the drivers, and connected successfully. In the status window it says:

Connecting...
echo:SD card ok
echo:enqueing "M23 101hero"
echo:enqueing "M24"
Printer is now online.
open failed, File: 101hero

The file itself is just the "101hero" file from inside the Motor Test folder that was inside the zip archive. (Also tried with the 101hero file from the Back Home folder.) No folders, no zip files, or anything other than one "101hero" file exist on the SD card at any given time.

Reply #9

I'm not sure what that is or where I would find it. Where did you get the 'ini' file?

Reply #10
Update: within Pronterface, if I click "Load File" and choose any of the three 101hero files, and then click "Print", all the files seem to work perfectly. The test file prints a Star of David, and the Motor Test file makes the motors move. I can also manually move the motors and adjust the temperature using the controls in Pronterface's left pane.

So I'm left wondering why it fails to open the 101hero files from SD when it specifically reported that the SD card is ok, and when it has no problem opening the same 101hero files within Pronterface.

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #11
You may have a faulty sd card reader or one of the connector pins may have an issue.

The fan on the extruder starts up immediately when power is turned on. Nothing else will function without commands from either the sd card or through the usb connection.

• rmezqui
  • [*][*]
Reply #12
I have the same issue and I just change SD name to "HERO" and WORKS!!!

• yaowenc
  • [*][*]
Reply #13
Did you try using some RS232 tool like Accessport it can read some message form the 101hero.
1.First, make sure the driver already install (http://www.101hero.com/download)
2.Link the 101hero with your PC by USB cable.
3.Check the 101Hero is on which port. (ex: On my PC is com port 8 , yours maybe some others, it depend on your PC system).
4. Launch the Accessport, Setting the "com port" and define the baud rate to 115200. start the link.
5. Power on your 101Hero, before that, remove the 101Hero's card reader. try the button. and see what message you get.

For me. I got information,
: Extruder switched off. MINTEMP triggered !
Error:Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)
Error:volume.init failed.

It look like my 101Hero's temperature control  is losing function. I have no idea how to fix that. :'(

• yaowenc
  • [*][*]
Reply #14
I'm not sure what that is or where I would find it. Where did you get the 'ini' file?

I think this may be a mistake. the 101hero file is the G code command, this is the Text file.
using the software Cura can let the STL file change to G code.
and the ini file can get from the 101hero.com's download. that is the config file for Cura. that file is using for let Cura know the X/Y/Z Size and some detail setting for 101hero.

Due to there is no enough error message for us. It hard to finger out the real solution.