Skip to main content
August 15, 2018 ...

News

• Please note: 101user.com is in no way affiliated with 101Hero. 101user.com is an unofficial user forum.

Topic: PLA print settings (Read 867 times) previous topic - next topic

• p5
  • [*][*]
PLA print settings
I was wondering what would be the recommended settings for PLA filament extrusion. I used all the material that came with the printer and I bought a new one. I noticed that it was coming out differently so i tried a few different settings but I'm would like to know if someone has figured this out.

1. Up to this point I printed at this setting:

Printing temperature: 200
Print speed : 10mm/s
Travek speed : 10mm/s
Flow: 110%

That didn't work

2. Printing temperature: 200
Travel speed : 10mm/s
Flow: 125%

3. Printing temperature: 200
Flow: 140%

4.Printing temperature: 230
Print speed : 14mm/s
Travel speed : 14mm/s
Flow: 115%

5. Printing temperature: 230
Flow: 110%

Is 230 C temperature to much for permanent setting?

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Re: PLA print settings
Reply #1
Suprised it got to 230c to be honest.

It shouldn't be a major problem, if the head can sustain the temperature. Did you try any other temperature in between 200 and 230 though, its a big jump in temperature.

Just be aware that every brand of PLA will  be slightly different so you will have to dial  in for each brand separately.

• Tomcom05
  • [*][*]
Reply #2
I used all the material that came with the printer and I bought a new one.

Out of curiosity, what did you purchase? Does anyone know what the "101Hero filament spools" that came with the units are and if anyone has heard if they will be selling more?

I went with a sample product pack from rigid.ink. I had to go with a cooler temp of 195c and kept the flow rate at 100%. Prints are close to the same quality as stock material.

Reply #3
I use way less temperature, 180 is good enough. The printer is not that fast, so you don't need such a high temperature.
If you print cooler, you don't need a fan that urgently, you won't get as much stringing and drooping.

• p5
  • [*][*]
Reply #4
This is what I use

Reply #5
yes, try the lower temperatures, you will get better results. You'll only need to go above 200 if the printer moves very fast (which the 101Slowpoke can't do)

Reply #6
There are a lot of variables that can come into play, like brand, speciality fliaments, color, etc... but typically the temps are:

PLA is usually in the 160-190 range.
ABS is usually in the 200-250 range.

These are ball park temps. Even things like where the thermistor is located on the hotend can be the difference of why two different printers print the same filament at different temps
  • Last Edit: 20 Jan, 2017, 22:34:20 PM by DigitalWhitewater

• rfray
  • [*][*]
Reply #7
There are a lot of variables that can come into play, like brand, speciality fliaments, color, etc... but typically the temps are:

PLA is usually in the 160-190 range.
ABS is usually in the 200-250 range.

These are ball park temps. Even things like where the thermistor is located on the hotend can be the difference of why two different printers print the same filament at different temps
I tried printing with some ABS I've had for a while and set the printer to go to 230 and it never went above 214 C.  SO it wouldn't even start a print I loaded because it didn't get up that high.  SO I reset the gcode for 215 and even though Repetier was only reporting it getting up to about 214 C, it did start printing and was doing better than the white PLA that came with the printer, but then about half way up a 3/4" high object I was printing, it looked like a layer stopped adhering and slide off then the filament starting printing in the air into a blob, so I stopped it.  I wonder if maybe there was too much cooling (30 sec per layer) and that's why it messed it? I printed the same object in the white PLA before this and had no adherence problem up that high.  Does anyone know what the 101hero is rated at as far as max temp with the stock print head?