Skip to main content
July 21, 2018 ...

News

• .stl, .gcode and .123dx files can now be uploaded as attatchments

Topic: Pre-Extrusion? (Read 297 times) previous topic - next topic

• Daniez
  • [*][*]
Pre-Extrusion?
Hello, I've been setting up my printer recently and while running some test prints and honing all the minute things in I've noticed on my last couple of tests that while the extruder is heating up it starts to I guess you could say... leak? It's about halfway up the pylons and it starts to extrude while in the air far too high above the bed and once it settles to the bed this problem just smears the extruded material all over the bed. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm running the same model for printing and haven't seen this in the previous prints.

Re: Pre-Extrusion?
Reply #1
That's normal. If you don't retract the filament at the end of the previous print, you will have some leaking due to the material expansion while heating.

So: either retraact at the end of the previous print (end-gcode in the slicer) or use some special start gcode in the slicer to securely wipe it off.

• Daniez
  • [*][*]
Reply #2
I see, thanks for clearing that up and giving me a few solutions for dealing with it but now I'm running into a similar problem while printing. I've finally solved some of my adhesion issues to the bed but while printing the extruder is still running while moved away from the print, I assume to cool off? This causes one side to have this build up of stringy mess as the extruder is pushing filament through while moved away and when it moves back it sort of drips onto the print. Is there something I'm doing wrong here? Maybe the extruder is too hot?

Reply #3
At what temperature are you printing?

What model are you printing, which slicer do you use? USB or from SD?

• Daniez
  • [*][*]
Reply #4
Temp is at 200 running through Cura, I was just using the little Ultimaker robot model to test with. I can't exactly get the program to run through USB only so I'm using the SD at the moment. Testing some other models from the 101land site don't seem to have this problem. Is this a setting I've got in Cura that could be doing this? I'm using the settings put up by the 101hero site for Cura. Again, thanks for taking the time to help me out with all of this.

Reply #5
Yes, this is most likely related to an issue with your slicer settings. If the 101land models print fine, you have to find out what you configured wrong.