Skip to main content
September 18, 2018 ...

News

• Hope you enjoy the new look of the forum.

Topic: Repurposing from Delta to XY plotter style design (Read 370 times) previous topic - next topic

Repurposing from Delta to XY plotter style design
Hello all.

So I've tried changing motors, power supplies, bearings, and other mods but I never got the 101 hero to print properly. The motors do function on their own, but together one or two motors always stops mid-motion.

Therefore I'm planning to repurpose the board and motor & pulley systems of the hero for another project, where I plan to use them in a XY table arrangement. But the board is configured for a Delta printer. So I am asking if anyone could point me to how I can give each motor orders separately like for a Cartesian system.  To be more precise, I want to give gcode commands such as "move 5mm up X axis" and have a single motor move that much, and the same with Y and Z axis.

I couldn't achieve this by fiddling with the codes in the test files. I thought maybe I can get them to work that way by reformatting the board and reinstalling some firmware, but is it possible? I am totally new at this but I am willing to go down that route if it is a possibility. I would appreciate some hints and outlook on that. Thanks everyone.

Re: Repurposing from Delta to XY plotter style design
Reply #1
You will need a totally different firmware. Noone in this forum is sure yet how and if we can just flash some other firmware, and neither of us dares to try (risk of bricking the printer). Unless we get the fimware from the 101hero creator themselves, we are stuck.

Reply #2
Actually I'm willing to take the plunge since my 101hero is essentially a brick to me at the moment.
So basically I should first ask the 101 team to release the firmware if it has open source code? If that doesn't work, I'd go with any 'likely to work' scenario.

• Royalcows9
  • [*][*]
Reply #3
You will need a totally different firmware. No one in this forum is sure yet how and if we can just flash some other firmware, and neither of us dares to try (risk of bricking the printer). Unless we get the fimware from the 101hero creator themselves, we are stuck.
I thought @workshoptinkerers was looking into something regarding using a different board, one that we could change?
EDIT: I think it was actually @DigitalWhitewater who was working on it, see here: http://101user.com/index.php/topic,126.0.html. It's a different project, but the same idea
  • Last Edit: 01 Mar, 2017, 05:57:52 AM by Royalcows9
Join the 101 User discord!! https://discord.gg/MKFx9mK

Reply #4
the ramps board will allow repurposing the steppers to your hearts desire in the 3dprinting/cnc/laser cutting area. so would for sure allow x and y instead of delta configuration

Reply #5
Yes, that would work, but I prefer not to squander more resource on my 101.
I guess I'll try to find some way to reprogram the current board, though from  @DigitalWhitewater 's thread it looks unlikely to work. I've asked the creators for the firmware but unsurprisingly had no reply. I've been looking at info on Google about high voltage parallel programming, and I think I'll try that when I get some time available. I just need to figure out if I have to unsolder the Atmega128 chip to do that, or if there's another way around it... :)

• Royalcows9
  • [*][*]
Reply #6
Yes, that would work, but I prefer not to squander more resource on my 101.
I guess I'll try to find some way to reprogram the current board, though from  @DigitalWhitewater 's thread it looks unlikely to work. I've asked the creators for the firmware but unsurprisingly had no reply. I've been looking at info on Google about high voltage parallel programming, and I think I'll try that when I get some time available. I just need to figure out if I have to unsolder the Atmega128 chip to do that, or if there's another way around it... :)
Please keep us updated!
Join the 101 User discord!! https://discord.gg/MKFx9mK