Skip to main content
August 15, 2018 ...

News

• Registration is now closed.

We have an alternative forum at makenhack.com

Topic: Extruder heads up, nothing else happens (Read 260 times) previous topic - next topic

Extruder heads up, nothing else happens
We received the 101 Hero and assembled it. The extruder heats up but the motors and extruder head don't move. The only evidence of life is the power LED, the soft sound of a fan and the slight smell of hot plastic. No clicking sounds, no movement at all. So far a couple tiny beads from the extruder head are our only prints.

We have the developer version but are using the SD card. We triple- and quintuple-checked our wiring and connections. We've tried with a 2 GB and a 512 MB SD card. We've cleared the cards, we've formatted the cards, we've left only the 101HERO file as the only thing on the card.

Our first attempt was a Moon Buggy Police car. Then in the forums here we realized there's a test file, so we attempted that. Still nothing. We're going to try to the motor test file next.

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions you can offer.

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Re: Extruder heads up, nothing else happens
Reply #1
How have to formatted the sd card? If you are just using the inbuilt windows formatter that probably won't do it. You may need to use the sd association software https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Reply #2
If the extruder heats up then it can definitely read something from the card.

Please use the USB connection and check the exact temperature it reaches. If it can not reach the defined start temp, it won't start.

Reply #3
How have to formatted the sd card? If you are just using the inbuilt windows formatter that probably won't do it. You may need to use the sd association software https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this with a 4 GB card and a 512 MB card, but with the same result.

Reply #4
If the extruder heats up then it can definitely read something from the card.

Please use the USB connection and check the exact temperature it reaches. If it can not reach the defined start temp, it won't start.

Thanks. While waiting for the 3D printer we had an accident with the laptop (closed the lid with a flash drive cap sitting on the keyboard. Goodbye., LCD screen). Now I have a have a reason to stop putting off fixing it. The new screen should arrive this week.

I haven't seen how the printer looks when plugged into a computer. Is there any software I need to download to see the extruder temperature? Can I just use a meat thermometer?

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #5
Use repetier host, that will show you the extruder temperature and you can see your code being transferred,  as well as manually control the printer.