Skip to main content
September 18, 2018 ...

News

• Hope you enjoy the new look of the forum.

Topic: Newbie help: How to create a file (Read 321 times) previous topic - next topic

• Erwin
  • [*][*]
Newbie help: How to create a file
So I've used 123D Design to design a part to help me fix a problem with the zipper on a jacket, and now I want to move on to the next step... and I have no clue.
Complete newb here, any field specific terminology should be avoided or explained. :P
I've been browsing around threads here and got lost in jargon.

What do I do to make this into a file to put on the SD?

Re: Newbie help: How to create a file
Reply #1
1) export the design as .STL
2) use a slicer (e.g. Cura as it is supported by 101Hero) to transform the design into .GCODE, i.e. instructions for the printer where to move and how much plastic to extrude)
3) put .gcode file onto the SD card as 101hero (without file extension)

There are some linked blogposts that go into more detail, please check those.

• Erwin
  • [*][*]
Reply #2
I'm not sure what I'm missing. I didn't find a blog post to help me (linked where?), but this thread I thought should help me:
http://101user.com/index.php/topic,180.0.html
But it doesn't. Following all that, and then putting the code on the card doesn't get me anywhere. I push the button, and the things starts heating (and over time drops small bits of burned looking filament), but nothing moves.
So I'm missing something, but I have no clue what.

Reply #3
Have you tried connecting via USB to check the temperatures? What target temperature have you set in your slicer?

• Erwin
  • [*][*]
Reply #4
I don't have a type B cable, so no, no USB. And what temperature? How do I know?

Found the setting: Initial temperature 220, then 190.
I already knew this come to think of, the page I linked to says that's what's in the downloadable profile as well. I used that profile.
  • Last Edit: 03 Apr, 2017, 21:43:34 PM by Erwin

Reply #5
Try lowering the first temp to 200, 220 might be just over your printers limit.

• Erwin
  • [*][*]
Reply #6
Ok, will do, but this suggestion, or rather the profile download, was specifically meant for this printer.

• Erwin
  • [*][*]
Reply #7
Ok, so now something got printed. It's messy, but then I've not yet managed to calibrate this thing well.
It also didn't seem to print straight up, it came out skewed. I've seen this in another thread without a solution.
And it ended up with some excess filament on top which I haven't managed to cut off yet.
So all in all... well, at least it did something now. :)

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #8
Make sure your using the right version of Cura with the right settings. AFAIK the newest version doesn't play well with deltas without a specific add on file and I think that it's a hack rather then a real solution.
Use 15.02 and set it up using the settings on the forum here and then use that to slice your code. I have a feeling that the drift people are experiencing may be as a result of the commands not being relayed properly in relation to the 3rd tower motor.

• Erwin
  • [*][*]
Reply #9
Ok, I tried 15.02, set it up as described in the other thread on this forum, and imported the .ini from the 101hero site. Now I do not experience this drift. That is to say, not the same one. Now it's much worse.

EDIT: Changing the speed from 14 to 10 seems to help.
  • Last Edit: 05 Apr, 2017, 21:21:35 PM by Erwin

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #10

• Erwin
  • [*][*]
Reply #11
So far changing the speed from 14 to 10 really seems to solve this particular issue, but I haven't tried a very tall model yet.
As for the rest of that thread.... Too much touching the mechanics of the thing, that's really not for me. I'm not technical enough.