Skip to main content
November 17, 2018 ...

News

• .stl, .gcode and .123dx files can now be uploaded as attatchments

Topic: upgrade the Hero (Read 1399 times) previous topic - next topic

• Stenoxp
  • [*][*]
upgrade the Hero
In addition to stepping motors our Hero suffers dancers movements and unwanted delays, some changes can take it right away, we collect and avoid wiring shall control the extruder, also the filament should unroll without slowing down the press. The limit switch adjustment screws should be replaced with other more durable and adjustable no slip the screwdriver from the top or by removing the latter every time, the 3M socket screws are perfect and allow smooth adjustments unimpeded.

Another big problem is given by the linear ball bearings that run poorly or even tweak lock, even the bars flowing  are not perfect but do not invest too much money, we have to find a compromise. For linear bearings are more or less cost-effective solutions, before you could try to coat with lithium grease, if still bad run we have to check that the bars are straight, to take them apart from the body will remove the plugs on the ends, I I made some of these holes with a small drill and then I screwed a screw and I pulled. If the roll bars good on a plan without strange undulations then bearings are to be replaced. Bearing excellent cost as the printer, then we have to compromise, or we take the same $ 1 each or spend something more.

Now we speak of the extruder stems, are absolutely to be replaced, flex, the balls are dancing in the seats and making the shamefully inaccurate extruder. Fortunately RC modeling comes to our aid, we buy 12 uniball with 3M or 4m hole where avviteremo a threaded rod, the balls better take 6mm with 3mm through-hole, in this way we will have two advantages, accuracy and adjusting the length of the stems .

And if you are like me you can set the replace all the screws with other more robust and insert the threaded bushings in place of holes. Even the cover for the loading of the filament needs an update, the vines are a nuisance, a rugged stretch would be better already but equally uncomfortable, I thought of a solution, but I do not know how to describe it, it looks like the jambs of a door.

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Re: upgrade the Hero
Reply #1
Some interesting ideas for upgrading the printer. The bearings seem to be a bit of an issue but if you can get working ones cheap then that shouldn't be an issue. There is not a huge amount of force going through them to justify expensive units.

The quickest, easiest mod is definitely a spool holder and wrapping the extruder head wires so that they are out of the way and not catching.

Reply #2
I do not know much about them but was wonder if we should try and upgrade the board with a RasberryPI? At least this way we can understand that architecture and have a firmware available to the community.  Thoughts?
I am not good at this stuff but my gear, besides the Villian includes:
Monoprice Maker Select, Select Mini, and an Anet A8 w/P3Steel frame
Also considering: CTC 3D

Reply #3
I do not know much about them but was wonder if we should try and upgrade the board with a RasberryPI? At least this way we can understand that architecture and have a firmware available to the community.  Thoughts?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4UD5MRas3E

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #4
It's definitely a possibility, although the cheapest, easiest upgrade may be an arduino or melzi board.

A raspberry pi is over €30 and then you have to buy the stepper break out boards.

I've seen Chinese arduino and stepper sets for less than €10.

Reply #5
It's definitely a possibility, although the cheapest, easiest upgrade may be an arduino or melzi board.

A raspberry pi is over €30 and then you have to buy the stepper break out boards.

I've seen Chinese arduino and stepper sets for less than €10.
I agree I actually am just finding out about the Arduino platform.  I had heard of and seen RasberryPi projects so it was the first that came to mind.  Plus it looks like the Sketches for Arduino may be easier to learn?

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #6
The Raspberry pi is definitely the more powerful option, but it's probably a bit overkill  as a control board.

I have an older model b here which I plan on using with a 5 inch touch screen (eBay purchase) as my tethered computer, if I can get the drivers and Cura to run on rasbian

• Blackbart42
  • [*][*]
Reply #7
Any thoughts on using a heated bed?

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #8
The plastic frame makes using a heated bed a bit risky. It really depends on the type of plastic used to make the frame, the heat the bed is used at and the type of filament used.
The nozzle is only specced to 250°c which is borderline for some ABS mixes.

• Stenoxp
  • [*][*]
Reply #9
small updates

Senza titolo by stefano marcon, su Flickr

Reply #10
what size inserts did you use in the above photos?

Reply #11
Hi Stefano,

can you please provide more details about the replacement rods (the 6 connectors to the extruder) shown on photo #1 in post #9.

Thank you!

Greetings,
Christian

Reply #12
If we can find a 4wire motor that is adequately size (torque) for the 101hero, I'm almost done with a fork of the marlin config that would work on most any Arduino based controller board. I have a Rumba and a RAMPs board, and it should work on either of those. It'd be pretty easy to adjust the marlin config for any of the common boards that are out there.

Finding the proper 4wire stepper motor is pretty much all that's escaping me.
  • Last Edit: 10 Jan, 2017, 23:46:59 PM by DigitalWhitewater

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #13

Reply #14
I'm currently at the office, but i'll read up on it tonight and get back to you.

Also... If anyone with more knowledge about motors (honestly, it wouldn't take much lol) wants to take a look and let me know what they think, I'd be most appreciative!

Ideally we want something that would fit our printer's chassis. I don't have my printer with me to give accurate dimensions.