Skip to main content
May 21, 2018 ...

News

• Hope you enjoy the new look of the forum.

Topic: Replacement Glass Platform (Read 426 times) previous topic - next topic

Replacement Glass Platform
I just received my 101Hero, but unfortunately the glass bed was shattered upon arrival. Rather than waiting for a replacement to arrive, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I can just use a piece of circular glass from a hobby store. I imagine there won't be any physical problems with that, but I was wondering if there is anything I need to do with the printer since the glass will likely not be the same thickness (height of the bed will change). Does the print head calibrate itself before the print by coming down and figuring out how high the glass surface is or is there something I have to change? This is my first 3D printer, and I don't want to break anything...

Re: Replacement Glass Platform
Reply #1
the height is set from the top of the towers. the closer the thickness of the glass to the original the better. you have a couple mm of adjustment ability from the screws at the top of the towers.
the only way i know to adjust the actual print height is to replace the controller board, or reflash it (not a straight forward thing unfortunatly) though there might be ways to compensate in the slicers that i am not aware of.
if the glass is thinner it would be easier to adjust cause you can add tape under the glass to raise it up. and its possible to replace the adjustment screws with longer ones if they are needed

Reply #2
I'm not sure if replying is considered bad etiquette by making the thread have more activity, but I wanted to say thank you for taking time to give me that information! I am going to take your advice and try to find some glass that is as close as possible but slightly thinner than the original. I think there's a piece or two intact enough to measure and compare. Anyway, I just wanted to spend a few minutes saying thank you!

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #3
@Causality , replying to thread is fine, feel free to update people on successful or unsuccessful attempts at solutions, thank people or anything else within the rules.

Reply #4
as luck has it, broke one of my glass plates today, chunk of metal went flying across my workshop landing on one of my 101heros. near as i can tell the included glass is 6" or 150mm diameter, and 1/4" or 6mm height. going to get one of the 6" decorative mirrors from the local craft store as it should be pretty darn close. will let everyone know how it works.

Reply #5
I know its been a while on this one. took me 2 months but finally got to the local craft store. the 6 inch round mirrors are indeed glass based, and about 1.5mm thinner than the glass that comes with the printer. They work great if you either adjust the stock screws, or add slightly longer ones.

Even better, they were only $1.99 USD before the coupons.