Skip to main content
May 21, 2018 ...

News

• Please note: 101user.com is in no way affiliated with 101Hero. 101user.com is an unofficial user forum.

Topic: First 3d print w/ 101hero, need improvement (Read 669 times) previous topic - next topic

• Arbagon
  • [*][*]
First 3d print w/ 101hero, need improvement
Ok so I just set up my 101hero printer and did test print and medieval castle. This is how it turned out.....
Any suggestions how to get better quality and remove line layers. The tower got messed up cause my mom said it started moving with the extruder at the end, how to prevent that? Does 101hero print gcode files, if not how do you convert it to file. Thanks for any insight!

• Arbagon
  • [*][*]
Re: First 3d print w/ 101hero, need improvement
Reply #1
Ok so I figured out you have to rename the gcode file to 101HERO, still could use help to improve quality, this is my first printer and first print.

• fedplast
  • [*][*]
Reply #2
Hi!
good for you!
layers: if you are are talking about layers not being perfectly aligned with each other, it's likely that the extruder was moved, or bumped, or someone slammed the door... 101hero is quite flimsy so make sure it doesn't shake at all. you can reinforce it, look up mods and upgrades here in the forum.
if you are talking about in general the fact that you see the layers, that's part of 3d printing: you can improve it by extruding smaller layers, by sanding it by hand later, by coating it with a spray or brush prodct, but you always will see the lines with this kind of 3d print.
the tower got messed up because the print got separated from the tape. look up on youtube "3d print not sticking", or so.
but basically, clean the glass well, make sure you use a good blue tape, not the white that came with the printer, and make sure the leveling is done well so the first layer is nicely squeezed onto the tape evenly.

if you want to print your own things, do the following: go to thingiverse.com and download anything you like. or make your own in a 3d software such as fusion360.
than open the file in cura (a free software). to set up cura correctly look up this nice post:
http://101user.com/index.php/topic,9.0.html

the file created  by cura needs to be the only file on the sd card, rename it 101hero without any extension.

good luck!

• Arbagon
  • [*][*]
Reply #3
Awesome thanks, what do you mean by extruding smaller layers? I didn't have any tape on that time because first 2 times I did the extruder was peeling off the tape between peices when it would first start, it won't do that with the blue?

• fedplast
  • [*][*]
Reply #4
1- if you are printing your own file through cura, you can adjust the layer thickness. but if you are usig the prints from 101hero's site you cannot and you should not need to.
2-was the tape peeling off or was the extruder tip scratching it off? if it was peeling off clean the glass with alcohol or ammonia (windex) before putting tape or use better tape (like blue tape). if the extruder was scratching off the tape, that's bad: it means the plate is leveled too high, you need to re-align until you only have about 0.2mm (0.07") between nozzle and tape. that's about the thickness of plain paper.
did you align your printer and run the alignment print?
prints coming off the plate or warping is one of the big challenges of 3d printers...

• Arbagon
  • [*][*]
Reply #5
Is the alignment print the star test? And how do you align it. I think that might have been the tape problem, so I just screw the top screws on each arm a very small amount?

• fedplast
  • [*][*]
Reply #6
yes its the star,
the printer  came with instructions on how to align it, if you don't have them 101hero's website has them but the download doesn't seem to work, try yourself: http://www.101hero.com/quick-start-guide
basically you prepare the bed, print the star, look carefully: if the tip is scratching off the tape or grinding into the glass unplug right away: screw IN the top screw in the pylon or pylons closer to where it was scratching. you keep printing the star a few times, and keep making adjustments to the 3 screws. when you screw IN (clockwise from above) that pylon will now reach a little higher. when you screw OUT that pylon will now reach closer to the glass. so if the bottom layer is too far from the glass you screw OUT. of course to reach that screw the printer has to be down, so you need to turn it off before it goes back up.
keep printing and aligning until the bottom layer is a nice squished even layer.

• Arbagon
  • [*][*]
Reply #7
Thanks so much as a completely new person at this it can get kind of overwealming, it looks like my 101 printer is alittle better off then other people though so I'm thankful, your advice has been much appreciated

• Arbagon
  • [*][*]
Reply #8
Ok another question for you, I used up all my first filament and was going to put in a new roll of filament, but there is alittle bit of the old in the extruder, in the second tube under the wheel. How do i get that out? Thanks

• fedplast
  • [*][*]
Reply #9
you have to heat up the extruder... pretend you are printing something, then turn it off. you can now take it out. whatever is left inside the nozzle will come out when you start reprinting. you should always have the nozzle hot when changing filament, if you feel a bit of resistance when pulling back

• Arbagon
  • [*][*]
Reply #10
Worked thanks again!