August 15, 2018 ...

News

• Registration is now closed.

We have an alternative forum at makenhack.com

Topic: A Look Inside (Read 577 times) previous topic - next topic

• RCole
  • [*][*]
A Look Inside
Here is a look at the inside of the 101Hero controller.

• Last Edit: 02 Jan, 2017, 23:50:31 PM by RCole

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Re: A Look Inside
Reply #1
Is it just the lighting, or do those chips have no information printed on them?

Thanksfor the image, it really looks like a melz 1.0/2.0 hybrid board to me.

There is information on the board Here but those stepper drivers definitely look similar to the a4988 drivers on the original melzi.

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #2
Looking at the mosfets for the hot end, they definitely look like TO220s which means that, theoretically you could send more power to the hotend. This could help with the lack of heat some people are reporting.

The question is whether or not the rest of the board is set up to isolate the extra amps that it is capable of sending to the hot end.
The little motors in the hero probably wouldn't take that amount of amps.

• RCole
  • [*][*]
Reply #3
I'll just add some information about what we have on there. Below the USB connector is a CP2102 USB to UART bridge. Just to the left of that it is all about power. Backed up to (and touching) the USB connector is a P55NF06 power MOSFET. Below and slightly to the left are a pair of 7805 5 volt regulators. Moving left the "button" beside a 10MHz crystal. Below the crystal the Atmel 1284p processor. The driver chips are 988ET stepper drivers (a variation on the A4988 chips used on the Melzi boards).

The lettering is hard to read. In part because of the excessive amounts of flux left on the board. Note that some flux compounds are hygroscopic and can become a partial conductor over time. If you have odd problems, you might want to clean the board. I already started that so I could read the chips.
  • Last Edit: 04 Jan, 2017, 02:52:20 AM by RCole

• Admin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #4
The flux issue is interesting.  I wonder could that account for some of the malfunctioning boards that are being reported.
  • Last Edit: 06 Jan, 2017, 21:39:00 PM by Admin

Reply #5
MY 101hero's board is green does anyone else have green motherboard.

• Stenoxp
  • [*][*]
Reply #6
MY 101hero's board is green does anyone else have green motherboard.

yes

Reply #7
min also green

• RCole
  • [*][*]
Reply #8
The problem with flux should take years to develop (depending on the flux used). My logitech headphones didn't start having problems until they were about 3  years old. I found all sorts of soldering issues in there, but cleaning up the flux got t hem working.

Reply #9
Green too.